Idaho man faces October trial in connection with standoff

Christopher S. Robling faces eight felony charges related to the incident Aug. 25.


WALLA WALLA -- A man pleaded innocent Tuesday to charges accusing him of leading police officers on a chase along city streets last month and then breaking into an unoccupied house at Second Avenue and Maple Street resulting in an hours-long standoff.

Christopher S. Robling, 30, of Nampa, Idaho, is scheduled for trial Oct. 26 on eight felony charges.

Officials said the Aug. 25 chase began shortly after 12:30 p.m. following a report that Robling was changing license plates on a pickup in the 600 block of Newell Street.

He sped away from officers and traveled through intersections at a high rate of speed before stranding the vehicle in Garrison Creek at the end of Bryant Avenue, according to a police report filed in court.

Robling's passenger -- his girlfriend, Stacy E. Barrett, 24, also of Nampa -- was apprehended at the scene and later booked into the County Jail.

But officials said Robling fled and ran to the backyard of 803 S. Second Ave. where he broke into the basement of the residence. He then allegedly held officers at bay for three-and-a-half hours until he was arrested about 4:20 p.m. after reportedly running from the rear of the residence.

Officials said the license plates Robling installed on the vehicle were stolen in La Grande, and the pickup and numerous items inside had been stolen from Caldwell, Idaho. The vehicle also contained stolen guns and ammunition, however Robling wasn't armed when he was arrested, according to police.

The charges against him include: attempting to elude a pursuing police vehicle, possession of a stolen motor vehicle, first-degree possessing stolen property, residential burglary, first-degree malicious mischief and three counts of first-degree unlawful possession of a firearm because he reportedly has a felony record.

Barrett pleaded innocent Tuesday to possession of a stolen motor vehicle and making a false or misleading statement to a public servant. Police said she initially told them she had just met Robling earlier in the day.

She was released from jail Aug. 31 to await her trial, which also is set to begin Oct. 26.


Log in to comment