Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Garfield County Commissioners are Dean Burton, Wynne McCabe and Robert Johnson. With all present Monday commissioners:
- RALLY: Met with John Forspring of Wild West Rally to discuss the road rally planned for Sept 24 to 26 in Garfield County.
- CRUSHER: Declared the county's crusher as surplus. After discussion commissioners decided not to purchase a used truck as budgeted for hauling gravel from the crusher. Instead the road department will hire a portable crusher to visit quarry sites to crush gravel as needed. Unanimous.
- ORV TRAILS: Learned a north-south off-road vehicle trail has been completed in the Umatilla National Forest. Also learned from Pomeroy District Ranger Monte Fujishin that there is some money left that will be used for more trail maintenance.
- HOMELESS: Met with Steve Moss and Susan Krallman of Blue Mountain Action Council to discuss homeless and assisted living programs. Learned the state Department of Commerce will redistribute funds for the programs. Commissioners will draft a letter asking the Department of Commerce to use a minimum amount to distribute to counties, rather than basing the distribution only on population. In January when a homeless count was made there were 17 homeless people in the county.
- COURTHOUSE: Accepted three alternative bids for the Courthouse renovation project. The bids total $228,000. The alternatives include sheet rock, electrical and wiring upgrades in interior office spaces. Unanimous.
- NEXT MEETING: Commissioners will meet Aug. 30 at 1 p.m. They will resume their weekly meeting schedule in September.