Tuesday, December 11, 2012
LAS VEGAS — Trevor Brazile clinched his 10th all-around gold buckle by finishing third in team roping with partner Patrick Smith in round five of the National Finals Rodeo on Monday night.
Brazile, of Decatur, Texas, has won 10 of the last 11 eleven world all-around titles, including a record seven in a row.
He increased his all-around lead over Bobby Mote of Stephenville, Texas, and Stephen Dent of Mullen, Neb.
Brazile competes in team roping, tie-down roping and steer roping. The $284,197 he has earned in 2012 give him an insurmountable lead over Mote ($146,017) and Dent ($144,465), who hasn’t cashed a check at the 2012 NFR with five of 10 rounds completed.
In team roping, Brazile and Smith, of Lipan, Texas, finished third with a time of 4.3 seconds. They lead the world standings, with Smith having $169,973 and Brazile totaling $168,463.
Spencer Mitchell of Colusa, Calif., and Dakota Kirchenschlager of Stephenville, Texas, tied for first in team roping, matching Brock Hanson of Casa Grande, Ariz., and Ryan Motes of Weatherford, Texas, with a 3.7.
Kaleb Driggers of Albany, Ga., who has earned $145,123, and Jade Corkill of Fallon, Nev., who has made $141,032, were the second-place team after placing fourth in 4.6.
In bull riding, J.W. Harris was one of only four riders to not get bucked off, allowing him to reclaim the world standings lead.
Harris, of Mullin, Texas, finished fourth with a score of 82.5 on Joe Kidd, good enough to take over the lead with earnings of $192,971, while Cody Teel of Kountze, Texas, who did not have a successful ride in the round, fell into second with $185,782 in 2012.
Seth Glause of Cheyenne, Wyo., won the round with a score of 87.5 on Canadian Tuxedo and Trevor Kastner of Ardmore, Okla., was second with an 86.5 on Ice T. Besides Harris, the only other successful rider in the round was third-place Brett Stall of Detroit Lakes, Minn., with an 83 on Vitalix Baskin’s Buckmaster.
Harris also moved into the lead in the NFR aggregate standings race with three successful rides for 261 points while Glause was second with three rides for 256 points.
In steer wrestling, three-time and defending world champion Luke Branquinho of Los Alamos, Calif., placed second with a time of 3.9 seconds and took over the world standings lead with $128,043.
Two-time world champion Dean Gorsuch of Gering, Neb., who has earned $116,067, didn’t place among the top six and fell from the top spot to second place.
Ethen Touvenell of Napa, Calif., third overall with $112,536, finished sixth in 4.4.
Wade Sumpter of Fowler, Colo., was fourth in the world standings with $106,532.
Trevor Knowles of Mount Vernon, Ore., won in 3.3 and was in sixth in the standings, only $26,296 out of first.
“If you’ve ever put a cowboy hat on and competed at a rodeo, you’ve thought about a world title,” Knowles said. “If you haven’t, you’re in the wrong sport. If I come here and do great, and I can come out of here as a world champion, it’s the greatest personal accomplishment I could have.”
Matt Shiozawa of Chubbuck, Idaho, won the tie-down roping with a time of 7.2. Tuf Cooper of Decatur, Texas, remained in first place in the world standings after not placing among the top six in a time of 8.4. And he stayed in first in the NFR aggregate standings with a time of 39.10 over five rounds.
Cooper has earned $176,543 in 2012 while second-place Justin Maass of Giddings, Texas, who placed fourth in 7.9, was in second with $170,798.
In bareback riding, the first rider to compete, Casey Colletti of Pueblo, Colo., won the round with an 88.5 on Scarlett’s Web while world standings leader Kaycee Feild of Payson, Utah, didn’t place among the top six with an 82.5 on Rage.
Defending world champion Feild has earned $191,650 in 2012 while Will Lowe of Canyon, Texas, who placed sixth with an 83 on Dirty Jacket in round five, remained in second with $163,142.
Feild was also atop the NFR aggregate standings with 423.5 points over five rounds, followed by Lowe with 418 points.
In saddle bronc riding, Cole Elshere of Faith, S.D., took first with an 83 on Lunatic Fringe and moved into second place in the NFR aggregate standings with 391.5 points over five rounds.
Jesse Wright of Milford, Utah, who didn’t place among the top six, was first in the world standings at $180,360 while Wade Sundell of Boxholm, Iowa, who also didn’t place in the top six, remained in second with $147,115.
Cody DeMoss of Heflin, La., who placed second with a 78 on Lock & Load, leads in the NFR aggregate standings race with 394.5 points over five rounds.
DeMoss and Elshere are the lone competitors with five successful rides, and they were joined by Jacobs Crawley of College Station, Texas, as the three successful riders in the fifth round.
Wright tops the NFR earnings race with $47,263.
In barrel racing, Kaley Bass of Kissimmee, Fla., won in a time of 13.68 while Trula Churchill of Valentine, Neb., was a close second in 13.69. Three-time world champion Sherry Cervi of Marana, Ariz., placed third in 13.76.
World standings leader Brittany Pozzi of Victoria, Texas, who was fifth in 14.01, stayed in first with $191,280
Mary Walker of Ennis, Texas, who finished fourth in 13.89, remained in second in the world standings with $189,720. Defending world champion Lindsay Sears of Nanton, Alberta, who didn’t place among the top six in 14.21, is third in the standings with $167,387.
Walker leads all 2012 NFR competitors by earning $62,428 during the first five rounds.
National Finals Rodeo Results
At Thomas & Mack Center
- Casey Colletti, Pueblo, Colo., 88.5 points on Classic Pro Rodeo’s Scarlet’s Web, $18,257; 2. Bobby Mote, Stephenville, Texas, 86.5, $14,429; 3. Brian Bain, Culver, Ore., 85, $10,895; 4 (tie), J.R. Vezain, Cowley, Wyo., and Winn Ratliff, Leesville, La., 84.5, $6,184 each; 6 (tie), Will Lowe, Canyon, Texas, and Steven Peebles, Redmond, Ore., 83, $1,472 each; 8. Kaycee Feild, Payson, Utah, 82.5; 9. Jessy Davis, Power, Mont., 81.5; 10. Justin McDaniel, Porum, Okla., 80.5; 11. Wes Stevenson, Lubbock, Texas, 74; 12. Caleb Bennett, Morgan, Utah, 66.5; 13 (tie), Steven Dent, Mullen, Neb.; Matt Bright, Azle, Texas, and Jared Keylon, Uniontown, Kan., NS.
- Trevor Knowles, Mount Vernon, Ore., 3.3 seconds, $18,257; 2. Luke Branquinho, Los Alamos, Calif., 3.9, $14,429; 3 (tie), Les Shepperson, Midwest, Wyo.; Billy Bugenig, Ferndale, Calif., and Tom Lewis, Lehi, Utah, 4.1, $7,754 each; 6 (tie), Ethen Thouvenell, Napa, Calif., and Gabe Ledoux, Kaplan, La., 4.4, $1,472 each; 8. Todd Suhn, Hermosa, S.D., 4.5; 9. Dean Gorsuch, Gering, Neb., 4.6; 10. Wade Sumpter, Fowler, Colo., 4.9; 11. Bray Armes, Gruver, Texas, 5.2; 12. Casey Martin, Sulphur, La., 5.5; 13. Beau Clark, Belgrade, Mont., 6.2; 14. K.C. Jones, Decatur, Texas, 7.0; 15. Matt Reeves, Cross Plains, Texas, NT.
1 (tie), Brock Hanson, Casa Grande, Ariz./Ryan Motes, Weatherford, Texas, and Spencer Mitchell, Colusa, Calif./Dakota Kirchenschlager, Stephenville, Texas, 3.7 seconds, $16,343 each; 3. Trevor Brazile, Decatur, Texas/Patrick Smith, Lipan, Texas, 4.3, $10,895; 4. Kaleb Driggers, Albany, Ga./Jade Corkill, Fallon, Nev., 4.6, $7,656; 5 (tie), Chad Masters, Cedar Hill, Tenn./Clay O’Brien Cooper, Gardnerville, Nev., and Erich Rogers, Round Rock, Ariz./Kory Koontz, Sudan, Texas, 4.9, $3,828; 7. Keven Daniel, Franklin, Tenn./Chase Tryan, Helena, Mont., 5.4; 8. Derrick Begay, Seba Dalkai, Ariz./Cesar de la Cruz, Tucson, Ariz., 8.7; 9. Turtle Powell, Stephenville, Texas/Dugan Kelly, Paso Robles, Calif., 9.1; 10. Colby Lovell, Madisonville, Texas/Russell Cardoza, Terrebonne, Ore., 9.3; 11. Travis Tryan, Billings, Mont./Jake Long, Coffeyville, Kan., 33.6; 12 (tie), Luke Brown, Stephenville, Texas/Martin Lucero, Stephenville, Texas; Clay Tryan, Billings, Mont./Travis Graves, Jay, Okla.; Dustin Bird, Cut Bank, Mont./Paul Eaves, Millsap, Texas, and Charly Crawford, Prineville, Ore./Jim Ross Cooper, Monument, N.M., NT.
Saddle Bronc Riding
- Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D., 83 points on Burch Rodeo’s Lunatic Fringe, $18,257; 2. Cody DeMoss, Heflin, La., 78, $14,429; 3. Jacobs Crawley, College Station, Texas, 75.5, $10,895; 4 (tie), Jesse Wright, Milford, Utah; Wade Sundell, Boxholm, Iowa; Taos Muncy, Corona, N.M.; Cody Wright, Milford, Utah; Chad Ferley, Oelrichs, S.D.; Cody Taton, Corona, N.M.; Jake Wright, Milford, Utah; Sterling Crawley, College Station, Texas; Cort Scheer, Elsmere, Neb.; Bradley Harter, Weatherford, Texas; Isaac Diaz, Desdemona, Texas, and Tyrell Smith, Cascade, Mont., NS.
- Matt Shiozawa, Chubbuck, Idaho, 7.2 seconds, $18,257; 2 (tie), Clint Robinson, Spanish Fork, Utah, and Bradley Bynum, Sterling City, Texas, 7.5, $12,662 each; 4. Justin Maass, Giddings, Texas, 7.9, $7,656; 5 (tie), Cody Ohl, Hico, Texas, and Clif Cooper, Decatur, Texas, 8.0, $3,828 each; 7. Tuf Cooper, Decatur, Texas, 8.4; 8. Shane Hanchey, Sulphur, La., 8.5; 9 (tie), Cory Solomon, Prairie View, Texas, and Monty Lewis, Hereford, Texas, 8.6 each; 11. Fred Whitfield, Hockley, Texas, 8.9; 12. Adam Gray, Seymour, Texas, 9.3; 13. Ryan Jarrett, Comanche, Okla., 17.9; 14 (tie), Hunter Herrin, Apache, Okla., and Houston Hutto, Tomball, Texas.
- Kaley Bass, Kissimmee, Fla., 13.68 seconds, $18,257; 2. Trula Churchill, Valentine, Neb., 13.69, $14,429; 3. Sherry Cervi, Marana, Ariz., 13.76, $10,895; 4. Mary Walker, Ennis, Texas, 13.89, $7,656; 5. Brittany Pozzi, Victoria, Texas, 14.01, $4,712; 6. Lisa Lockhart, Oelrichs, S.D., 14.05, $2,945; 7. Brenda Mays, Terrebonne, Ore., 14.08; 8. Lindsay Sears, Nanton, Alberta, 14.21; 9. Nikki Steffes, Vale, S.D., 14.31; 10. Christina Richman, Glendora, Calif., 14.90; 11. Carlee Pierce, Stephenville, Texas, 18.73; 12. Kelli Tolbert, Hooper, Utah, 18.93; 13. Benette Barrington-Little, Ardmore, Okla., 19.18; 14. Christy Loflin, Franktown, Colo., 19.57; 15. Lee Ann Rust, Stephenville, Texas, 24.04.
- Seth Glause, Cheyenne, Wyo., 87.5 points on Growney Bros. Rodeo’s Canadian Tuxedo, $18,257; 2. Trevor Kastner, Ardmore, Okla., 86.5, $14,429; 3. Brett Stall, Detroit Lakes, Minn., 83, $10,895; 4. J.W. Harris, Mullin, Texas, 82.5, $7,656; 5 (tie), Cody Teel, Kountze, Texas; Trey Benton III, Rock Island, Texas; Ardie Maier, Timber Lake, S.D.; Tate Stratton, Kellyville, Okla.; Cody Samora, Cortez, Colo.; Beau Schroeder, China, Texas; Cody Whitney, Sayre, Okla.; Shane Proctor, Grand Coulee, Wash.; Clayton Savage, Casper, Wyo.; Kanin Asay, Powell, Wyo., and Tag Elliott, Thatcher, Utah, NS.