Wednesday, December 19, 2012
WALLA WALLA — A new trial date has been set for a man charged with being involved in a drive-by shooting in September.
Eric A. Nordman, 27, initially was scheduled for trial in Walla Walla County Superior Court starting Nov. 27. But the proceedings have been postponed to Jan. 14.
Nordman has pleaded innocent to four counts of first-degree assault and one count of drive-by shooting.
Police believe he was in a Toyota Camry with another person as it drove by 1140 W. Cherry St. about 11:35 p.m. Sept. 13. At least nine shots were fired from the vehicle. A victim told police Nordman likely was the driver, with the passenger of the vehicle actually firing the shots.
Three people outside the residence were wounded.
Jesse Castillo, 21, suffered wounds to his left arm and both legs, according to a police report filed in court. Nelson B. Zuniga, 22, was hit in his left arm. Both are reportedly gang members and live at the residence.
A third victim, Myra Urincho, 21, later was found to have suffered an injury to her buttocks.
Witnesses said a small, metallic-colored car had driven by the area once, then returned and the shots were fired.
Seven spent casings — commonly fired from an SKS- or AK47-style assault rifle — were found at the scene.
One bullet that entered the residence next door at 1144 W. Cherry St. struck a hide-a-bed couch on which 98-year-old Raul Madrigal Corona was sleeping, the police report says. He wasn’t injured.
Police were told the shooting occurred after Nordman had been giving Urincho problems. Castillo reportedly challenged Nordman to fight, but he refused.
When Castillo was shot, he saw the passenger of the vehicle leaning across the driver, whom he identified as Nordman, according to the police report. Castillo told officials the passenger was the one who fired.
Nordman, of 51455 Highway 332, Milton-Freewater, was arrested Sept. 19 in Waitsburg. Bail later was set at $250,000.
No further arrests have been made.