Early morning fire burns garage

Advertisement

COLLEGE PLACE — A detached garage was heavily damaged in an early-morning fire Christmas day.

Fire District 4 and College Place firefighters were called at 4:47 a.m. to 958 Electric Avenue for the blaze, which was confined to the wood-frame structure.

Fire District 4 Chief Rock Eastman said the cause of the fire was determined to be ashes from a wood-burning stove in a trash can outside the garage. Although the occupants thought the ashes were cold, they apparently contained embers with enough heat to start the fire.

Damage to the 400-square foot structure and contents was estimated at $20,000-$25,000, Eastman said.

Advertisement

Log in to comment