Thursday, February 16, 2012
Pomeroy School District Board members are Paul Ruark, Lori Slaybaugh, Lori Flynn, Bart Gingerich and Ed Sullivan. With all present Wednesday the board:
- FACILITIES: Learned the Junior-Senior High School modernization project continues to be on budget and on schedule. Discussed application for an energy grant through the state Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The district is considering applying for a second pump house to transport water to the school's heating and cooling system, then return it to the water source. The system would save the district money over the long term, Superintendent Kim Spacek said.
- FITNESS CENTER: Discussed potential lease of the Community Fitness Center for use for a class.
- PERSONNEL: Approved hiring Colin Weymer as head softball coach. Accepted the resignation of Jack Dunlap as assistant baseball coach. Unanimous for both.
- LEVY: Discussed letter from the county assessor explaining the property valuation in the county. It appears the actual tax rate for the maintenance and operation levy voters approved Tuesday will be "way, way under what we advertised," Spacek said.
- AFFIRMATIVE ACTION: Approved affirmative action plan. Unanimous.
- ACHIEVEMENT: Discussed achievement goals as part of the district's strategic plan. There is some concern about using numbers because expectations would focus on the numbers. Rather than naming a percentage, the goals may use language such as "all seniors" to describe graduation goals.
- BOARD DAY: Board members related some of the many positive comments they heard during Board Day. Comments were heard about how well the school is running despite being located in different locations in town, and about how well the lunch program is going, with cold lunches being provided rather than hot lunches during the modernization project.
- EMERGENCY CLOSURE: Learned the district will have to make up the two days school was closed due to weather conditions.