Wednesday, October 31, 2012
It is time to recognize that gay and lesbian couples deserve the same rights as heterosexual couples, including the right to marry.
I've heard arguments that marriage is God-ordained, that the purpose of marriage is to promote procreation and that all heterosexual marriages will be harmed by allowing gay marriage. These arguments just don't hold water.
If you want a religious marriage, go ahead and get one; your right to do so will in no way be impeded by Referendum 74. Furthermore, churches will not be forced to perform gay marriages if this referendum passes.
The purpose of civil marriages, as recognized by the state of Washington, is to provide legal rights to its citizens. Same-sex couples deserve these rights too.
Vote "Approved" on Referendum 74.
More like this story
- Voters should affirm gay marriage law
- WHY IT MATTERS: Both sides agree: Gay marriage defines what kind of nation we are
- Supreme Court hears historic same-sex marriage arguments
- Delaware governor signs gay marriage into law
- Supreme Court will review Calif. ban on same-sex marriage, federal law targeting gay couples