Wednesday, January 30, 2013
WALLA WALLA — Paintings by local artist and Whitman College alumna Jeannette Jackson Murphy are on exhibit there through June 7 at Whitman’s Memorial Hall on Boyer Avenue
Murphy’s art work has been shown in Paris, New York, Boston and throughout the Northwest.
Her work has also been displayed in the New England Museum of Fine Art, Staten Island Museum of Art, Boise Art Museum and Seattle Art Museum.
Murphy began serious study of painting at the Sorbonne in Paris in 1950, with artist Andre Lhote.
She then enrolled as an art major at Whitman College and studied under Professor R.J. Rasmussen.
She was also influenced by Whitman artist Ruth Fluno and the influence of both is evident in her work.
For more then 50 years, she has created drawings and paintings in oil, acrylic and watercolor for exhibition and pleasure.
More like this story
- From sketch to canvas, Jeannette Murphy’s paintings span half century
- Artist reception set for today at Brasserie Four
- Little Theatre opens 70th season with ‘You Can’t Take it With You’
- Sheehan slates student exhibit, artists’ talks
- Reception at Whitman College to honor donors of Emile Lahner collection